As the world health situation unfolds, we are paying attention to our local schools, the Minnesota Department of Health and the Center for Disease Control (CDC). As your pastor, I want to take a moment and share with you how we at Wooddale are taking a practical and spiritual response.
Practically, we are responding to this situation by:
- Increasing the number of hand sanitation stations near our entrances.
- Disinfecting “high touch surfaces” with hospital grade disinfectant daily. This includes all door handles.
- Moving away from a formal hand-shaking during our greeting time and perfecting the “Wooddale wave” instead.
- Avoiding passing an offering plate which can be a high-touch item. Instead, we encourage online giving at www.wooddalechudev.wpengine.com. Click Give, then follow the instructions.
- Encouraging people who are at a higher risk, have a compromised immune system or feel uncomfortable to worship via the livestream on our website.
- Monitoring all current and upcoming church travel plans to be sure that we move or postpone any trip that would place people into harm’s way.
This situation serves as a reminder that it is always wise for us to practice good hygiene. As recommended by the CDC, please wash your hands often and cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough. If you are ill, please stay home.
Spiritually, this situation is a time to be reminded that our trust is in God. Scripture tells us:
Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-7
Second, the global anxiety that we are seeing reminds us of why our vision is so important. When people know Jesus, they know hope.
Please join me in praying for safety, for a vaccine to be found soon, for those impacted, and that God will use this global event to draw more people to a saving knowledge of Himself.
May we be confident in the Lord and impart the hope that comes only from Jesus to those around us.